Tuna And Potato Stew (Marmitako)
This is a quick and easy recipe for tuna and potato stew that serves as a great lunch or dinner option.
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 5 to matoes skinned, deseeded and chopped (reserve any juices)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika pimenton dulce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and cut into 1 cm slices
- 2 slices fresh tuna 1 lb each, cut into 6 chunky pieces each
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves torn
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices of white bread cut into triangles extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Halve and deseed the red, yellow and green peppers and cut the flesh into 1 cm cubes.
- Heat the oil in a heatproof casserole, add the onion, garlic and peppers and fry over low heat until softened but not coloured, 12 -15 minutes. Increase the heat and stir in the tomatoes and their juice. When the mixture starts to thicken, add the paprika, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the potatoes and 400 ml boiling water and simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile, to make the fried bread, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the triangles of bread and fry on both sides until golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Season the pieces of tuna 10 minutes before cooking. Add the tuna to the casserole and after about 30 seconds, when the underside turns pale, turn the pieces over and turn off the heat. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with the triangles of fried bread.
Calories: 672 kcal
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Protein: 61 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 86 mg
Sodium: 293 mg
Potassium: 1698 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 10 g
Vitamin A: 7629 IU
Vitamin C: 165 mg
Calcium: 166 mg
Iron: 6 mg