One of the all-time favourites, homemade Potato salad should be made with firm, waxy potatoes. These will not crumble when mixed with the mayonnaise. For a change, try using soured cream instead of mayonnaise, or add 50 g (2 oz) cubed Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese to the salad before coating in the mayonnaise.
- 1 1/2 lb new potatoes or
- 1 lb can new potatoes drained
- 1 bunch of spring onions topped, tailed and finely chopped
- 1/4 pint thick homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint or parsley to finish
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove from the water and allow to cool slightly. Peel off the skin.
- Cut the cooked or canned potatoes into chunks and place in a mixing bowl with the spring onions.
- Pour in the mayonnaise and lemon juice and add black pepper to taste.
- Coat the potato slices carefully in the mayonnaise, folding it in with a large metal spoon. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with more black pepper and the chopped mint or parsley.
Calories: 335 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 200 mg
Potassium: 745 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 221 IU
Vitamin C: 38 mg
Calcium: 28 mg
Iron: 2 mg