Chicken, Potato and Butter Bean Stew
This heart-warming chicken stew is given a decorative touch with a patterned potato topping. Sweet potatoes are very easy to mash, and their delicious flavour makes an interesting addition to poultry and game. Serve the stew with crunchy vegetables, such as lightly cooked mangetout or French beans.
- 4 chicken breasts skinned and boned
- 4 oz tinned butter beans
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 pint chicken stock
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 8 oz carrots
- 6 oz leeks
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme and parsley
- or 1 teaspoon dried thyme and parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons snipped chives
for the topping
- 12 oz sweet potatoes
- 12 oz English potatoes
- 1/4 pint whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 1 pinch powdered cinnamon
- Peel and slice the onion. Pour the chicken stock into a pan and add the onion and the saffron. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and leave to simmer briskly, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice both the carrots and the leeks into regular-sized rounds. In a 2 pint (1.1 litre) flat, Ovenproof dish, layer the chicken breasts with the thyme, parsley, carrots and leeks. Pour over the saffron and onion stock. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover and cook in the Oven for 40 minutes, stirring well halfway through.
- While the casserole is cooking, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into rounds 1 in (25 mm) thick. Cook the rounds in boiling water for about 15 minutes until soft, then drain and mash them thoroughly, adding half the milk and the cinnamon.
- Peel and cut the English potatoes into similar-sized round pieces and cook them in boiling water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain, add the remaining milk, and mash thoroughly.
- When the casserole is cooked, remove the lid and stir in the butter beans. Cover with the mashed sweet potatoes and English potatoes, arranging them by hand, or using a piping bag in a striped manner if desired.
- Return the casserole to the Oven and bake for a further 40 minutes until the topping is lightly crisp and golden. Garnish with the snipped chives and serve immediately.
Calories: 531 kcal
Carbohydrates: 57 g
Protein: 58 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 148 mg
Sodium: 503 mg
Potassium: 2064 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 13 g
Vitamin A: 22406 IU
Vitamin C: 33 mg
Calcium: 142 mg
Iron: 4 mg