Cauliflower and Potato Bake
Cauliflower is available all year round and is often eaten with a rich creamy sauce, as in this recipe. Freshly grated nutmeg and garlic add flavour to the sauce, which is soaked up deliciously by the potatoes.
- 1 lb new potatoes thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 small cauliflower broken into florettes
- 1 garlic clove skinned and crushed
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 floz fresh single cream or buttermilk
- 2 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Layer the potatoes and cauliflower in a lightly buttered 1.1 litre (2 pint) ovenproof serving dish. Stir the garlic and nutmeg into the cream and pour over the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Sprinkle the cheese, cover and bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 45-50 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Uncover and place under a medium grill until lightly browned. Serve at once, straight from the casserole.
Calories: 291 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 732 mg
Potassium: 961 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 519 IU
Vitamin C: 92 mg
Calcium: 175 mg
Iron: 2 mg