Potato Fritters With Chorizo (Bunuelos De Patatas Con Choriz)
The perfect, quick and easy recipe for potato fritters with chorizo.
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and cut lengthways into thick fingers
- 1 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 2 eggs separated, plus 1 egg white
- 3 1/2 oz chorizo skinned and chopped into small pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pure olive oil or sunflower oil for deep-frying
- Boil the potatoes in a saucepan of salted water until soft, drain through a colander and cover with a cloth for about 5 minutes to let them dry out. Transfer to a bowl, mash in the flour and season with a little pepper. Mix in the egg yolks, then stir in the chorizo.
- Put the egg whites in a separate bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold into the mashed potatoes a little at a time.
- Fill a saucepan or deep-fryer one-third full with oil, or to the manufacturer's recommended level. Heat to 180°C (355°F).
- Working in batches of 6, take heaped teaspoons of the mixture and lower into the hot oil.
- Fry each batch for 3 minutes until evenly golden, turning them over halfway through (if they brown too quickly they will not have a good texture in the centre). Keep the oil temperature constant. As each batch is done, drain on kitchen paper and keep them warm in a preheated oven 180°C (350°F) Gas 4 until all have been cooked. Serve hot.
Calories: 33 kcal
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 16 mg
Sodium: 56 mg
Potassium: 85 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 35 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 4 mg
Iron: 1 mg