Wheat free Blackcurrant rice Surprise
Award-winning delicious, healthy, gluten-free, high fibre rice dessert with the taste of 'traditional' Blackcurrant rice.
- 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- 10 floz coconut milk
- 10 floz soya milk
- 10 floz water
- 3 1/2 oz pudding rice
- 2 tablespoons of caster superfine sugar
- 9 oz fresh or frozen trimmed blackcurrants
- 3 tablespoons of caster superfine sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 oz caster superfine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Melt the margarine with the coconut milk and soya milk in a non-stick saucepan over low heat.
- Add the water, rice and 30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar, and increase the heat to medium.
- Bring the pan of rice to the boil, stirring occasionally, then simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes until just soft, thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, mix the fruit and 3 tablespoons of sugar together.
- Once the rice is done, remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the rice into a deep-sided, ovenproof dish big enough for six servings and level it off.
- Spoon all the sweetened blackcurrants over the rice.
- Make the meringue topping. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff, then fold in the 100 g (3 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of caster (superfine) sugar.
- Spread gently over the blackcurrants and bake for about 30 minutes, or until well browned.
- Serve the pudding either hot or warm.
Calories: 384 kcal
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 87 mg
Sodium: 107 mg
Potassium: 363 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 29 g
Vitamin A: 463 IU
Vitamin C: 77 mg
Calcium: 108 mg
Iron: 3 mg