Fried Sardine Sandwiches
- 4 oz sardines in oil drained
- 2 large eggs hard-boiled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives or finely chopped spring onion tops
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz margarine or butter softened
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- generous pinch of sweet paprika
- 8 thin slices bread crusts removed
- Mash the sardines until smooth, then mix in the chopped eggs, chives and plenty of pepper.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the margarine in a separate bowl until light and creamy, then beat in the lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika.
- Spread the bread slices on 1 side with the lemon-flavoured margarine. Turn 4 of the slices over, and spread evenly with the sardine mixture. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, margarine side facing upwards.
- Set a large frying-pan over fairly high heat and leave it for about 30 seconds to heat through. Put the sardine sandwiches into the pan and press them down gently with a fish slice.
- Fry the sandwiches for about 3 minutes until golden brown, then carefully turn them over, using a fish slice, and cook for a further 3 minutes until golden brown. Serve at once.
Calories: 395 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 168 mg
Sodium: 617 mg
Potassium: 257 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 750 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 204 mg
Iron: 3 mg