Wheat Free Lamb Dauphinoise
This recipe is Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
- 14 oz natural soya yogurt or Greek-style set sheep's yogurt, which is not DF
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander cilantro and mint leaves
- 1 small red chilli seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 26 oz best lean minced lamb
- 4 plump cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- Salt freshly ground black pepper and grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree paste
- 10 floz red wine
- 1 tablespoon Gluten free cornflour cornstarch
- 1 large or 2 small celeriac peeled
- 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- Cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- First make the sauce. mix all of the ingredients together, cover and chill until needed.
- Cook the mince for a few minutes in a large pan over a low heat until it is evenly browned. Stir occasionally and do not allow it to stick.
- Add three quarters of the garlic and the onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the seasoning, mixed herbs and tomato puree (paste). mix in the wine and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour (cornstarch) with 300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of cold water in a mug until it is smooth.
- Stir the mixture into the lamb. Now bring the mince to the boil so that it thickens.
- Transfer this to a deep heatproof baking dish.
- Remove any blemishes from the celeriac and chop it into thin and even slices, so it looks like potato slices.
- Have a saucepan of boiling water ready and blanch the prepared celeriac for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water.
- Arrange a layer of celeriac over the mince, dot with margarine, the remaining garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover with another layer of celeriac until it is all used up. Sprinkle the top with a little cayenne pepper and dot with more margarine.
- Bake until the celeriac is soft and cooked through, and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Now reduce the heat to 180°C (350°F) gas 4 and cook for another 40 minutes.
- Serve hot with a dollop of the sauce on the celeriac. ideal with a green or mixed salad.
Calories: 526 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 93 mg
Sodium: 254 mg
Potassium: 831 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 330 IU
Vitamin C: 23 mg
Calcium: 155 mg
Iron: 3 mg