Sweet and Sour Pork
This sweet and sour pork recipe is packed with flavor and has a delicious tangy sauce. The best part? It's so easy to make, it takes just minutes!
- 4 Tbs Soy sauce
- piece Fresh root ginger peeled 1 inch and grated
- 1 1/2 lb Pork fillet tenderloin, cubed
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbs Cornflour cornstarch
- Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
for the sauce
- 2 Tbs Vegetable oil
- piece Fresh root ginger peeled 1 inch and finely chopped
- 2 Large carrots thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 Large red pepper pith and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 Large green pepper pith and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 lb Canned pineapple chunks
- 1 Tbs Soy sauce
- 3 Tbs Wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs Soft brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Cornflour cornstarch, blended with 6 Tbs water
- Combine the soy sauce and ginger together. Put the pork cubes in a bowl and pour over the soy sauce mixture. Baste the cubes to coat them thoroughly. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Mix the eggs and cornflour (cornstarch) together until they are smooth. Pour the batter over the pork cubes and mix well to blend.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
- Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil and heat until it reaches 185 °C (360°F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 50 seconds. Carefully lower the pork cubes, a few at a time, into the oil and fry for 5 to 6 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crisp. Transfer to an ovenproof dish as they cook and keep hot in the oven while you cook the remaining cubes, and make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large frying-pan. Add the ginger, carrots and peppers and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir in the pineapple chunks with the can juice, the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to the boil. Cook the sauce for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the cornflour (cornstarch) mixture until the sauce thickens and becomes translucent.
- Remove the pork cubes from the oven. Pour over the sauce and serve at once.
Calories: 479 kcal
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Protein: 42 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 192 mg
Sodium: 1550 mg
Potassium: 1116 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 29 g
Vitamin A: 6316 IU
Vitamin C: 74 mg
Calcium: 69 mg
Iron: 3 mg