Sweet and Sour Sauce
This sauce takes just a few minutes to make. It's perfect for pork dishes, chicken wings, and so much more.
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup carrots cut in julienne strips
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup red or green capsicum cut in julienne strips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spring onions
- 3 thin slices fresh root ginger chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- salt and pepper
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan and cook carrot strips until just tender.
- Add pineapple pieces and cook for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a separate pan, and gently fry capsicum strips for 1 minute. Add spring onions, chopped or powdered ginger and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add fried mixture to carrot mixture in saucepan.
- Blend cornflour to a smooth paste with a little cold water and stir into mixture.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot. Serve with grilled fish, lamb and pork, or meat balls.
makes 2 1/2 cups
Calories: 706 kcal
Carbohydrates: 141 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 4410 mg
Potassium: 709 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 117 g
Vitamin A: 11017 IU
Vitamin C: 110 mg
Calcium: 85 mg
Iron: 2 mg