Gluten Free Roast Squash, Chestnuts and Sweet Potatoes
A healthy holiday roast that's delicious, gluten-free, and full of autumnal flavor.
- 1 butternut squash peeled, halved and seeded
- 2.2 lb sweet potatoes peeled
- 7 floz olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A little sprinkling of grated cloves and nutmeg
- 12 whole cloves
- 8 oz whole peeled chestnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Cut the squash and the potatoes into equal size pieces so that they will take a uniform time to cook.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and blanch the vegetables for 3 minutes in the boiling water.
- Refresh under cold water and leave to dry for 10 minutes.
- Brush the squash and potato pieces with oil and spread them evenly over an oiled baking sheet.
- Season with salt, pepper, grated cloves and nutmeg and then sprinkle with the whole cloves.
- Roast in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the chestnuts 15 minutes before the end so that they heat through.
- Serve straight from the oven and remind everyone not to eat the cloves!
Calories: 579 kcal
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 99 mg
Potassium: 1188 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 10 g
Vitamin A: 36893 IU
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Calcium: 120 mg
Iron: 2 mg