Roast Goose with Sour Cherry Sauce
A simple, flavorful goose recipe. Roast a goose and serve with sour cherry sauce for a delicious meal.
- 9 lb oven ready goose
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots peeled and chopped
- 8 oz sorrel or baby spinach
- 24 oz jar morrello cherries pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
- 3 floz dry white wine
- 1 lbsp plain flour All purpose
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- few baby spinach leaves or Watercress salad cress sprigs and fresh cherries if available to garnish
- Prick the skin of the goose all over with a sharp knife or fork. Pull the inside fat out of the bird and reserve.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then put the onion quarters, sliced carrot and celery with the bay leaves and thyme in the goose cavity.
- Truss with strong cotton or fine twine if necessary and weigh the bird to calculate the cooking time.
- Place the goose on a wire rack over a roasting tin and cover it with tin foil.
- Roast at 200°C (400°F/gas 6) allowing 15 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus an extra 15 minutes. Baste frequently.
- Discard the tin foil 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the sorrel or spinach, drain and roughly chop. Add to the shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the cherries, reserving the juice, and stir 300 ml (1/2 pint) of the juice into the pan with the sugar and white wine.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pass through a food processor to form a puree. Return to the pan.
- Beat the remaining butter with the flour to a paste. Bring the sauce to the boil, then whisk in small spoonfuls of the beurre manie to form a smooth glossy sauce.
- Add the cherries and balsamic vinegar with seasoning to taste and keep it warm.
- Place the cooked goose on a warmed serving platter and garnish with fresh spinach or watercress sprigs and fresh cherries if using.
- Serve with the cherry Sauce
Calories: 1466 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Protein: 59 g
Saturated Fat: 35 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 277 mg
Sodium: 471 mg
Potassium: 1341 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 3443 IU
Vitamin C: 23 mg
Calcium: 82 mg
Iron: 12 mg