Sweet and Sour Goose Stew
A family favorite, this sweet and sour goose stew recipe can be made in the slow cooker for a hearty, healthy meal.
- 7 oz mixed dried fruit
- 2 1/4 lbs goose giblets wings, neck, gizzard and heart
- 8 floz water
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- Soup vegetables carrots, leeks, celeriac etc.
- 2 1/2 floz butter
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Cover dried fruit with water and soak for 12 hours.
- Rinse goose giblets, bring to the boil in the water and skim off scum as it forms.
- Peel the onion and spike the bay leaf into it with the cloves
- Clean and rinse soup vegetables, add to pan with onion and a little salt.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour over gentle heat until reduced by one-third.
- After 30 minutes of the cooking time, add dried fruit, along with the water it was soaked in.
- Strain stock and measure out 500 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups.
- Melt butter, brown flour in it, then gradually stir in stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add dried fruit and meaty pieces of goose to sauce and warm through.
- Serve with bread dumplings.
Calories: 1237 kcal
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Protein: 44 g
Saturated Fat: 35 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 244 mg
Sodium: 318 mg
Potassium: 1209 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 28 g
Vitamin A: 727 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 129 mg
Iron: 8 mg