Gluten Free Nutty Vegetable Roulade
A vegetarian roulade with lots of flavors and textures. This dish is suitable for gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian diets.
- 12 oz parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- 2 tablespoons of soya cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 16 oz whole sweetcorn drained
for the roulade
- 3 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- 1 oz rice flour
- 10 floz unsweetened soya milk
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 oz grated courgette zucchini
- 3 1/2 oz chopped toasted mixed nuts
- 3 large free-range eggs separated
- Cayenne pepper
- A large non-stick roulade tin, greased with Dairy free margarine and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- Boil the parsnips until soft. Drain and then mash them with the margarine, soya cream and nutmeg until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, cover and keep warm.
- Make the roulade by first melting the margarine.
- Beat in the flour and then incorporate the milk until you have a smooth sauce.
- Season to taste with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the grated courgette (zucchini), half the mixed nuts and the egg yolks and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then spoon one tablespoonful into the courgette (zucchini) mixture and blend gently.
- Now fold in the remaining egg whites very carefully using a metal spoon.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until puffy but firm.
- Turn the roulade onto a piece of baking parchment (wax paper) that has been sprinkled with the remaining nuts.
- Peel off the baking paper. Slice off the ends if they look a little dry.
- Spread the warm filling mixture over the roulade and gently use the paper underneath to help you roll up the roulade.
- Slide the roulade carefully onto a warm serving dish and decorate with fresh parsley.
- Accompany the dish with Cranberry Sauce.
Calories: 496 kcal
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 112 mg
Sodium: 207 mg
Potassium: 732 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 12 g
Vitamin A: 1147 IU
Vitamin C: 22 mg
Calcium: 137 mg
Iron: 2 mg