Gluten Free Wild Rice and Water Chestnut Salad
This gluten free wild rice and water chestnut salad is a great summer side dish, packed with fresh vegetables, flavorful herbs, and crunchy water chestnuts.
- 21 oz wild rice
- 2 mild red chillies halved and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 bunches of spring onions scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 lb water chestnuts drained and roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Gluten free soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of olive or sunflower oil
- 4 tablespoons of fresh coriander cilantro leaves
- Cook the rice in boiling water until just soft. Drain and refresh under hot water.
- Chop up the chillies finely.
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan, add the garlic and chilli, and heat briefly.
- Add the onions and the chestnuts and cook for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper and soy sauce before mixing in the rice.
- Adjust the seasoning and stir in the oil.
- Mix in half the coriander (cilantro) leaves. Cover and chill.
- Serve with the remaining coriander (cilantro) leaves sprinkled on top.
Calories: 381 kcal
Carbohydrates: 64 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 263 mg
Potassium: 443 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 165 IU
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Calcium: 24 mg
Iron: 2 mg