Gluten Free Blackberry and Apple Cake
This gluten free blackberry and apple cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion.
- 7 oz peeled cored and chopped eating apple
- 6 oz finely grated carrot
- 9 oz fresh or frozen blackberries
- 8 floz cranberry juice
- 5 oz buckwheat flour
- 5 oz maize flour
- 3 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of Gluten free mixed pie spice
- 2 large free-range egg whites lightly beaten
- 6 oz soft light brown sugar; sifted
- 2.2 lb non-stick loaf tin lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas mark 4
- Place the apple, carrot, blackberries and cranberry juice in a non-stick saucepan, bring to the boil, then set aside to cool.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and spices into a bowl.
- In A separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar until you have a stiff meringue.
- Stir the fruit mixture into the flour mixture and then fold in the meringue.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin and gently smooth over the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the loaf is well risen and golden brown.
- An inserted skewer should come out clean when the cake is cooked through.
- Leave the cake to cool, then turn it onto a wire rack and remove the paper.
- When the cake is completely cold, wrap it in foil and store in an airtight container until needed.
Calories: 195 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Sodium: 235 mg
Potassium: 307 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 3161 IU
Vitamin C: 11 mg
Calcium: 138 mg
Iron: 2 mg