Gluten free Little Toffee Apple Puddings
These gluten free little toffee apple puddings are so easy and delicious. They're perfect for breakfast, snacks, or as a dessert.
- 2 medium dessert apples
- 4 oz caster superfine sugar
- 7 floz water
- 2 floz dry cider
- 2 oz dark muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dairy free margarine
for the sponge
- A pinch of salt
- 4 1/2 oz rice flour
- 4 1/2 oz maize flour
- 2 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
- 4 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 2 tablespoons of runny honey
- 1 large free-range egg
- 5 floz dry cider
- 4 floz vegetable or sunflower oil
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 6 ovenproof ramekins lightly oiled and placed on a baking tray
- Prepare the apples, peel, quarter, core, finely slice horizontally and soak in the juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Make sure you have the apples and lemon juice ready for the recipe.
- Place the caster (superfine) sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir gently until the sugar has dissolved. increase the heat to high and bring to the boil.
- Let the sugar syrup caramelize into pale golden brown colour but remove the caramel from the heat as soon as it starts to get dark or it will taste bitter.
- Immediately pour in the cider and beware of spluttering caramel.
- Set aside while you cook the apples.
- Heat the muscovado sugar and margarine in a saucepan until they melt and dissolve together.
- Add the apples and cook over medium heat until the apples are nearly soft and coated with the sauce.
- As soon as most of the sauce has evaporated, stir in all the cider caramel.
- Divide the mixture between the 6 prepared ramekins, then set them aside while you prepare the sponge.
- Sift the dry ingredients and spices into a large bowl. in another bowl, mix the honey, egg, cider, oil and lemon zest.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture and immediately spoon it onto the caramelized apples in each ramekin.
- Gently smooth over the top and bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the sponge is golden and firm.
- Let the sponges cool just enough for you to be able to hold the ramekins in a dry cloth.
- Ease the sponge away from the sides of the dish with a sharp knife, then turn each one onto a warm plate and serve immediately with Dairy free vanilla ice-cream or Dairy free yogurt.
Calories: 576 kcal
Carbohydrates: 85 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Sodium: 192 mg
Potassium: 181 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 49 g
Vitamin A: 254 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 138 mg
Iron: 1 mg