Gluten Free Cranberry Date Loaf
Cranberry Date Loaf is a moist, dense, sweet and slightly tart cake that is perfect for breakfast or dessert. It's also gluten-free with vegan and soy-free options.
- 2 1/2 oz dried cranberries
- 2 1/2 oz dried cherries
- 2 1/2 oz dried chopped dates
- 4 floz hot black china tea
- The grated rind of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons of orange juice
- 5 oz pear or apple puree unsweetened
- 5 oz potato flour
- 3 1/2 oz rice flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- 5 oz Dairy free margarine
- 3 1/2 oz ground almonds
- 2 1/2 oz flaked almonds
- 1 free-range egg beaten
- 2 1/2 oz carrot grated
- 2 teaspoons Gluten free mixed pie spice
- 2.2 lb loaf tin greased and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Mix the fruit with the boiling hot tea, orange rind and juice in a bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the fruit puree and blend in.
- In another bowl, sift the flours and mix in the cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda).
- Then, using a blunt-ended knife, mix in the margarine until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the ground almonds and half the flaked almonds, the fruit with its liquid, egg, carrot and spice.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the remaining flaked almonds.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until an insetted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool and turn out onto a rack until cold. Serve in slices.
Calories: 352 kcal
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 16 mg
Sodium: 222 mg
Potassium: 315 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 2016 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 69 mg
Iron: 1 mg