Gluten free Pineapple Cake
A delicious gluten free pineapple cake that is perfect for a picnic or potluck event. The cake is moist and tender.
- 6 oz Dairy free margarine plus extra for greasing
- 6 oz caster superfine sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 large free-range eggs separated
- 9 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 1/2 floz total combined mixture of the above lemon juiced and some white rum
- 3 oz ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon of Gluten free baking powder
for the syrup and decoration
- 2 sticks of fresh lemon grass trimmed of tough outer layer and ends
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons of white rum
- 1 large ripe pineapple peeled and trimmed, cut into quarters, cored and chopped into slices
- Sunflower oil for frying the pineapple
- 22 cm 8 3/4 inch non-stick ring mould cake tin, greased
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas mark 3
- Beat the margarine and caster sugar in a food processor until pale and flurry.
- Add the finely grated lemon rind to the mixture.
- Gradually beat in the egg yolks, followed by 2 tablespoons of the flour and the lemon juice and rum mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and lightly fold in half of the almonds and half the remaining flour.
- Now fold in the remaining almonds, the last of the flour and the baking powder.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form firm peaks. Quickly fold the egg whites into the prepared mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is baking, slice the lemon grass very finely and place in a pan with the 30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons of sugar and 200 ml (7 fl oz) 3/4 cup of water. simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Increase the heat to high, bring the syrup to the boil for 2 - 3 minutes and then add the lemon juice and the rum.
- Strain the syrup and discard the lemon grass.
- Place the cake on a serving plate, prick small holes all over the cake and pour the syrup all over it.
- Just before serving, fry the pineapple slices in the sunflower oil. (if you use a char-grill pan the slices will have trendy grill marks on them).
- They should be just softened with a few char marks, pile the hot pineapple into the central hole of the cake and serve immediately.
Calories: 409 kcal
Carbohydrates: 51 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 216 mg
Potassium: 196 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 36 g
Vitamin A: 970 IU
Vitamin C: 65 mg
Calcium: 82 mg
Iron: 1 mg