Spinach and soft cheese roulade
A delicious spinach and soft cheese roulade recipe. Its spread with the soft cheese and and served cut into slices.
- 7 oz baby spinach leaves
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 oz polyunsaturated margarine
- 1 oz plain white flour
- 7 floz skimmed milk
- 3 eggs separated
- 4 1/2 oz low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the spinach in a medium saucepan with the nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of water Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Drain, squeeze out any excess water and chop the spinach finely.
- Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour Gradually add the milk and cook, whisking until you have a thick, smooth sauce. Stir in the chopped spinach and seasoning, and then whisk in the egg yolks.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/l90°C/fan oven I 70°C. Line a 23 cm x 28 cm (9 inch x I I inch) Swiss roll tin with non stick baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the spinach mixture and then turn it all into the prepared tin, and bake for I 2 minutes.
- Turn the roulade out on to a clean sheet of non stick baking parchment and peel away the parchment lining the base. Roll up the roulade like a Swiss roll, using the clean sheet of baking parchment to guide it along. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes.
- Mash the soft cheese to soften it slightly. Carefully unroll the roulade and spread it with the soft cheese, and then re-roll. Serve cut into slices.
Calories: 141 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Protein: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 87 mg
Sodium: 247 mg
Potassium: 291 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 3504 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 178 mg
Iron: 2 mg