Gluten Free Highland Oatcakes
The Highland Oatcakes are gluten free and made with oatmeal. They're light, crunchy and ideal for breakfast or anytime of the day.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 - 4 tablespoons boiling water to mix
- 1/2 lb fine oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
- Warm the oil and mix with the boiling water.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix to a stiff paste.
- Turn on to a board dusted with oatmeal. Quickly roll into a round about 1/8 inch (1/2 cm) thick.
- Cut into quarters and cook slowly on a griddle until hardened.
- Put into a cool oven for about 1/2 hour to dry.
- Alternatively, the oatcakes can be baked at 350°F (180°C) gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes.
Calories: 409 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 1724 mg
Potassium: 159 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Calcium: 24 mg
Iron: 2 mg