Wheat Free Sherry Cake and Baked figs
Wheat Free Sherry Cake and Baked Figs are the perfect way to celebrate the holidays.
- 2 1/2 oz potato flour
- 3 1/2 oz maize flour
- 3 1/2 oz rice flour
- 2 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 7 1/2 floz light sunflower oil
- 8 oz caster superfine sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 4 1/2 oz ground almonds
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 floz aged Amontillado dry sherry
- icing confectioners' sugar to decorate
for the figs
- 12 ripe but firm, figs
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 3/4 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of Gluten free mixed pie spice
- A little grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of Marsala
- 3 tablespoons of runny honey
- 20 cm (8 inch) non-stick cake tin, greased and dusted with extra flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the oil with the sugar and beat in the eggs, one at a time, until thick and creamy.
- Gently fold the egg mixture into the flours. Carefully add the almonds, lemon zest and sherry, and spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave until cold.
- Wash the figs and place them in an ovenproof dish with the orange juice, vanilla extract, spices and Marsala.
- Pour the honey over the figs and bake for 35 minutes or until soft and glazed.
- Put the cake on a plate and sprinkle with icing (confectioners') sugar.
- Serve the figs warm or cold with the cake.
Calories: 1076 kcal
Carbohydrates: 144 g
Protein: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 109 mg
Sodium: 195 mg
Potassium: 1110 mg
Fiber: 11 g
Sugar: 78 g
Vitamin A: 331 IU
Vitamin C: 26 mg
Calcium: 190 mg
Iron: 3 mg