Gluten Free Blinis with Spiced Cherries
These gluten-free blinis are perfect for brunch. They're light, fluffy, and flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons Dairy free margarine
- 3 3/4 lb canned pitted black cherries
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of caster superfine sugar or to taste
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of kirsch liqueur
for the blinis
- 2 oz buckwheat flour
- 2 oz rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of Gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 2 medium free-range eggs beaten
- 5 floz water
- A drop of extra oil for frying
- Dairy free vanilla ice-cream
- Melt the margarine in a frying pan (skillet), add the cherries, cinnamon, sugar, orange juice and zest, and cook for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
- Add the kirsch and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Keep warm while you make the blinis.
- Sift the flours with the baking powder into a bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the oils and eggs.
- Stir with a balloon whisk and gradually incorporate the water.
- Leave the batter to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan (skillet) with a drop of extra oil until very hot.
- Pour a spoonful of the blini mixture into the pan and repeat until you have 4 blinis, each about 6 cm (2 1/2 inch) in diameter.
- Cook the blinis until they are firm on the underside and bubbling on the upper side, then turn them over and cook the other side.
- Keep the blinis warm until they are all ready.
- Serve two of them, overlapping, on each warm plate with a pool of warm spiced cherries beside them and a scoop of Dairy free vanilla ice-cream on the edge of the pancakes.
Calories: 348 kcal
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 133 mg
Potassium: 615 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 32 g
Vitamin A: 3945 IU
Vitamin C: 40 mg
Calcium: 110 mg
Iron: 2 mg