Dairy Free Redcurrant and lime Meringue Tarts
- 7 oz WF flour
- 2 oz icing confectioners' sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 oz Dairy free margarine
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 lb redcurrants
- 7 oz caster superfine sugar
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- Finely grated zest of 2 small limes
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1 oz WF flour sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon of WF baking powder
- 3 1/2 oz desiccated shredded coconut
- 2 or more bun trays, greased, floured and lined with baking parchment (wax paper) circles
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Make the pastry by combining all the pastry ingredients, except the egg, in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and pulse until the dough comes together. into a ball.
- Cut the pastry in half and roll out, one half at a time, on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut our 12 or more circles with a 8 1/2 cm (3/4 inch) cutter and line each prepared bun tin with the pastry circles.
- Divide the redcurrants between the tarts, but do not over fill or they will overflow and become too sticky (if they are large fresh redcurrants then you may not need all the fruit).
- Sprinkle a little of the sugar over them if the fruit is very sharp.
- Make the meringue by whisking the egg whites until stiff in a large bowl with the salt.
- Gradually beat in all the sugar, then change to a very low speed and add the zest of the limes, followed by the cream of tartar, flour and baking powder.
- Lastly fold in the coconut.
- Place a spoonful of meringue on each tart, keeping the meringue within the boundaries of the pastry so that it doesn't stick to the sides of the tin.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until the pastry and meringue is golden brown and firm.
- Leave the tarts in the tins until they are only just warm.
Calories: 245 kcal
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 72 mg
Potassium: 181 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 20 g
Vitamin A: 301 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 17 mg
Iron: 1 mg