Dairy Free Christmas Cake
A Dairy Free Christmas Cake Recipe for you to enjoy during the festive season.
- 17 oz raisins
- 14 oz dried currants
- 5 oz dried pineapple chopped
- 5 oz glace cherries
- 5 oz dried figs chopped
- 5 oz candied citrus peel chopped
- 6 oz white rice flour
- 7 oz brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Gluten free mixed pie spice
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 13 oz Dairy free margarine
- 13 oz brown sugar
- 6 large free-range eggs 6 tablespoons of brandy
for the icing
- 4 - 5 tablespoons smooth apricot jam jelly
- icing confectioners' sugar for rolling
- 17 oz Gluten free golden marzipan
- 2.2 lb ready-made-to-roll Gluten free white icing
- ribbon decorations or food colouring (optional)
- 25 cm (10 inch) cake tin, greased and lined with a double layer of baking parchment (wax paper) Dairy free sunflower margarine
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas mark 2
- Put the fruit in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave until tepid, then drain.
- Sift the flours with the salt, mixed (pie) spice, nutmeg and allspice.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl until soft and light (or use a food processor and then return the mixture to the bowl).
- Add 1 egg at a time, beating it into the mixture.
- When you have added all the eggs, mix in the flour mixture in several batches.
- Finally, add the brandy and dried fruits.
- lightly grease the paper in the cake tin with the Dairy free sunflower margarine, then spoon the batter into the tin and smooth the top, hollowing the centre slightly.
- Bake for 3 hours or until cooked through. (insert a skewer into the cake - it is ready if the skewer comes out clean.
- Test in several places.) if the cake browns too quickly cover loosely with foil.
- Leave to cool in the tin and then unmould and peel off the paper. Wrap the cake in foil and store.
- The week you intend to eat the cake, unwrap it and place on a cake board.
- Gently heat the apricot jam (jelly) and brush it all over the cake.
- Sprinkle a work surface with icing (confectioners') sugar and roll out the marzipan and cover the cake with it.
- Trim off any excess and press closely into the cake. Trim again if necessary.
- Leave for 24 hours in a cool place to dry out.
- Roll out the ready-made icing in the same way, cover and trim. Decorate and store in an airtight container.
Calories: 801 kcal
Carbohydrates: 134 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 49 mg
Sodium: 285 mg
Potassium: 599 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 89 g
Vitamin A: 813 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 83 mg
Iron: 3 mg