Lime Meringue Tart
- 4 1/2 oz plain white flour plus 2 teaspoons for rolling
- 1 oz cornflour
- a pinch of salt
- 2 3/4 oz polyunsaturated margarine
for the filling
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 oz granulated artificial sweetener
- 2 egg yolks
for the meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 1 3/4 oz caster sugar
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and cornflour along with the salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough cold water to mix to a soft dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 20 cm (8 inch) loose bottomed fluted flan tin. Chill the pastry in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C.
- Line the pastry case with non stick baking parchment and baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes.
- Remove the beans and lining paper and return it to the oven for 10 minutes, until the pastry is pale golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Whisk together the cornflour, 150 ml (5 fl oz) of water, lime zest and lime juice, artificial sweetener and egg yolks.
- Heat the mixture gently in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring continuously, until you have a thick sauce.
- Spoon the filling into the cooked pastry case and level it with the back of a spoon.
- To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl and whisk them with electric beaters until stiff.
- Add the sugar a spoonful at a time and continue whisking until you have a thick, glossy meringue mixture.
- Spoon the meringue over the lime filling, using the back of a spoon to swirl it over the top.
- Return the tart to the oven for 5 - 8 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown and crisp on top.
Calories: 271 kcal
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Sodium: 144 mg
Potassium: 86 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 568 IU
Vitamin C: 10 mg
Calcium: 27 mg
Iron: 1 mg