Pear et Ginger Cake
This deliciously buttery pear and ginger cake is ideal for tea-time or you can serve it with cream for a delicious dessert.
- 7 oz unsalted butter softened
- 6 oz caster superfine sugar
- 6 oz self-raising flour sifted
- 3 tsp ginger
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 lb dessert eating pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Lightly grease and line the base of a deep 20.5 cm (8 inch) cake tin (pan).
- Using a whisk, combine 175 g (6 oz) of the butter with the sugar, flour, ginger and eggs and mix to form a smooth consistency.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin (pan), levelling out the surface.
- Arrange the pear slices over the cake mixture. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and dot with the remaining butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven, at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 35 - 40 minutes or until the cake is golden and feels springy to the touch.
- Serve the pear and ginger cake warm, with ice cream or cream, if you wish.
- Soft, brown sugar is often known as Barbados sugar. It is a darker form of light brown soft sugar.
Calories: 543 kcal
Carbohydrates: 60 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 18 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 153 mg
Sodium: 39 mg
Potassium: 127 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 31 g
Vitamin A: 946 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 1 mg