Dairy Free Warm Butterscotch Pear Cake
This dairy-free warm butterscotch pear cake has a spiced streusel topping and a rich butterscotch frosting.
- 2 large just-ripe pears, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced into the juice of 1 lemon
- 7 oz less 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- 6 oz caster superfine sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 4 1/2 oz rice flour
- 3 1/2 oz maize flour
- A pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 floz dry ginger ale
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 oz ground almonds
for the topping
- 2 oz Dairy free margarine
- 4 oz plus 1 tablespoon of muscovado sugar
- Few drops of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 oz flaked almonds
- icing confectioners' sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- Ensure the pears are prepared before beginning the cake.
- In a food processor, cream together the margarine and caster (superfine) sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs.
- Sift together the flours with the salt, baking powder, ginger and nutmeg and briefly blend into the egg mixture.
- Quickly add the ginger ale, lemon zest and ground almonds, and process for a moment only.
- Remove the blade of the food processor and fold in half the pears in the juice.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into the prepared tin and gently smooth over.
- Cover the sponge with all the remaining pears and juice. Cover the pears with the remaining sponge mixture and smooth over.
- Bake the cake for 40 minutes, or until golden and fairly firm.
- Meanwhile, put the margarine and sugar together into a pan over medium heat and cook gently until the sugar dissolves, about 3 - 4 minutes will be enough.
- Bring it to the boil and then add the vanilla extract and flaked almonds.
- Remove from the heat and stir the mixture.
- Take the cake out of the oven and spread the almond mixture over the top of the cake.
- Return the cake to the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until the topping is sticky and the sponge is firm.
- Leave the cake in the tin to cool for at least 40 minutes, then carefully remove the cake from the tin and peel off the lining paper.
- Place the cake on a plate and dust with sieved icing (confectioners') sugar.
- Serve it just warm with ice-cream or yogurt.
Calories: 405 kcal
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Sodium: 305 mg
Potassium: 123 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 25 g
Vitamin A: 813 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 114 mg
Iron: 1 mg