Dairy Free Smoked Haddock and Mushroom Roulade
A quick and easy recipe for a dairy free smoked haddock and mushroom roulade, with a creamy dill sauce. Ideal as an appetizer or starter dish, this is also perfect for vegetarians.
- 12 oz smoked haddock fillet skinned and boned
- 10 floz soya milk
- 2 large bay leaves
- 4 oz Dairy free margarine
- 1 oz rice flour
- 2 teaspoons of mild GF/DF curry paste or powder
- 4 large free-range eggs separated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of grated pecorino romano or Etorki cheese (if sheep's cheese is tolerated), or 3 tablespoons chopped nuts, lightly browned in oven
- Cayenne pepper
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- Grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons of soya cream
- 25 x 36 cm (10 x 14 inch) roulade tin, carefully lined with greased baking parchment (wax paper)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- Poach the haddock in the milk with the bay leaves, until just cooked. Flake the fish as soon as it is cool enough.
- Discard the bay leaves and reserve the milk.
- Make a roux with half the margarine, melting it in a non-stick saucepan and gradually beating in the flour and curry paste.
- Beat in the reserved milk and cook until smooth and thick. Cool and beat in the fish and egg yolks. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold 1 spoonful into the fish, then gently fold the rest in with a metal spoon.
- Tip this into the tin, spread evenly and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until firm.
- Cool for a few minutes and then tip onto a large piece of baking parchment (wax paper) that has been scattered with sheep's cheese, nuts or just a little cayenne pepper.
- Peel away the paper from the roulade and discard.
- Slice off both ends of the roulade if they are a little dry. Cover the roulade with a clean tea towel.
- Now melt the remaining margarine and cook the mushrooms for a few minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir in the cream and remove from the heat. Remove the cloth and lift the roulade onto a warm serving dish.
- Spread the mushroom filling all over it and, using the paper underneath to help you, roll up the roulade.
- Pull off the paper and serve the roulade immediately with a green salad.
Calories: 399 kcal
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Protein: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 221 mg
Sodium: 509 mg
Potassium: 606 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 1517 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 164 mg
Iron: 2 mg