Dairy Free Apple Cake
This Dairy Free Apple Cake is moist, tender, and has the perfect cinnamon-sugar topping. Perfect for fall!
- 4 1/2 oz rice flour
- 4 1/2 oz millet flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of Gluten free baking powder
- 2 oz of ground almonds
- 3 1/2 oz of caster superfine sugar (plus 1 tablespoon extra)
- 7 oz less 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- 1 lb dessert apples peeled and cored, half roughly chopped for inside the cake and half sliced for the top of the cake
- 2 large free-range eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons of cider or apple juice
- 1 1/2 oz brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 oz of flaked almonds
- 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin, oiled and lined with baking parchment (wax paper)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4
- first, sift the flours, the salt and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the ground almonds and caster (superfine) sugar.
- Add 170 g (6 oz) 3/4 cup of the margarine and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the roughly chopped apples and beaten eggs. Add the cider and then spoon the mixture into the tin.
- Neatly arrange all the sliced apples on top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of caster (superfine) sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cake is just firm and the apples well browned. if the apples start to burn, cover the cake loosely with foil until the cake is just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the margarine, the brown sugar and the cinnamon together in a pan until it dissolves.
- Stir in the flaked almonds.
- Take the cake out of the oven and spread with the almond mixture.
- Return it to the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 30 minutes, then turn out on to a serving plate and remove the baking parchment (wax paper).
- Serve the cake cold.
Calories: 493 kcal
Carbohydrates: 54 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 41 mg
Sodium: 359 mg
Potassium: 196 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 25 g
Vitamin A: 978 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 121 mg
Iron: 2 mg