Dairy Free Pearl Barley Salad
This healthy and hearty salad is packed with flavor, color, and texture. It's a perfect dish for a hearty lunch or to bring along to your next potluck.
- 7 oz pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 17 floz WF vegetable stock (bouillon)
- Pinch of saffron
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 2 1/2 floz olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cucumber peeled seeded and cubed
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 12 large black olives stoned (pitted)
- 2 heads of chicory trimmed and sliced
- 8 spring onions scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red chilli seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of shredded basil leaves
- Saute the barley in a pan with the tablespoon of oil for a minute and then add the vegetable stock (bouillon) and saffron. simmer for 45 minutes, topping up with water if necessary.
- Drain and turn into a salad bowl.
- Flavour with the lemon juice, 75 ml (2 1/2 fl oz) 1/4 cup of olive oil and seasoning.
- Stir in the cucumber, tomatoes, olives, chicory, spring onions (scallions) and chilli.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve with quiche and vegetable dishes.
Calories: 304 kcal
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 503 mg
Potassium: 727 mg
Fiber: 11 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 3764 IU
Vitamin C: 29 mg
Calcium: 111 mg
Iron: 3 mg