Dairy Free Pear Tart Tatin
This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
- 3 1/2 oz rice flour
- 2 1/2 oz maize flour
- 2 oz ground rice
- 5 oz dairy free margarine
- 2 oz caster superfine sugar
- 1 large free-range egg beaten
for the topping
- 3 1/2 oz Dairy free margarine
- 5 oz granulated sugar
- 2.2 lb ripe pears peeled, cored and quartered
- The grated rind of 1 lemon
- Tart Tatin dish or a 25 cm (10 inch) deep, round baking tin
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- First make the pastry. sift the flours and ground rice together into a large bowl, then rub in the margarine until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and add the egg. mix until you have a binding dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill until needed.
- Now make the topping. Gently melt the margarine in a large frying pan (skillet) with the sugar.
- Turn up the heat to high and once the margarine and sugar have started to boil add the pears to the pan.
- Sprinkle the lemon rind over the pears.
- Cook until the margarine starts to caramelize. Remove from the heat.
- Put all the pears with the caramel into the dish.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured board into a thick circle, to fit the top of the pan.
- Lay it on top of the pears and press down slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 190°C (375°F) Gas mark 5 and bake for a further 10 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning onto a warm plate and serving.
Calories: 606 kcal
Carbohydrates: 88 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Sodium: 273 mg
Potassium: 269 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 49 g
Vitamin A: 1616 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 40 mg
Iron: 1 mg