Chilled Tomato Soup With Prawns
- 2 3/4 lb very ripe tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic 1 tsp fresh marjoram leaves
- pinch oregano
- 1 large sprig basil
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli pepper optional
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp fine fresh white breadcrumbs
- 16 raw unpeeled Mediterranean prawns
- 2 large shallots finely chopped
- 1/2 oz butter
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- dry vermouth or dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 4 small sprigs basil
- Use a full-flavoured variety of tomato for this soup. Blanch if necessary before peeling them, cut lengthwise in half, remove the seeds and any tough parts, and place the flesh in the blender or food processor.
- Process at high speed with the peeled clove of garlic, the marjoram, oregano, basil, chilli pepper (remove its stalk and seeds first), the extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, breadcrumbs, and a little salt and freshly ground pepper.
- When very smooth, taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Process for a few seconds more. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving; do not chill for longer or the flavour will be blunted.
- While the soup is chilling, fry the shallot very gently in the butter and 1 tbsp light olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 fl oz (50 ml) vermouth or dry white wine, add the prawns, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes; take them out of the pan and peel, leaving the end flippers attached.
- Pour the tomato soup into individual bowls and arrange 3 or 4 prawns radiating out from the centre like the spokes of a wheel. Place a small sprig of basil in the centre and serve.
Calories: 264 kcal
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Sodium: 99 mg
Potassium: 851 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 14 g
Vitamin A: 2821 IU
Vitamin C: 65 mg
Calcium: 55 mg
Iron: 2 mg