Dairy free Greengage and Almond Tart
This tart is so light and delicate it melts in your mouth. The tangy flavor of the greengage contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the almond cream.
- 4 oz of Dairy free margarine
- 2 oz of caster superfine sugar
- 1 large free-range egg beaten
- 2 1/2 oz of rice flour
- 2 1/2 oz of maize flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of millet flakes
for the almond cream
- 6 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
- 6 tablespoons of caster superfine sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon of dark rum
- 3 oz of ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
for the fruit filling
- 1 1/2 lb of fresh and very ripe greengages stalks removed
- 4 tablespoons of apricot jam jelly warmed in a pan with 1 tablespoon of dark rum
- 12 1/2 inch loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin, greased and floured
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- first make the pastry.
- Beat the margarine and the sugar together in a food processor and add enough egg to make a wet paste.
- Sift the flours, spices and salt into the dough, add the millet flakes and process briefly in order to blend together.
- When the dough comes together into a ball, wrap it in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes in the deep freeze.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured board and carefully line the tin with it, pushing the pastry into shape with floured fingers.
- Trim the edges with a knife and discard the remnants.
- Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy, then mix in the eggs and rum.
- Fold in the almonds, sieve in the flour and mix gently.
- Cover the base of the tart with the mixture.
- Halve the greengages, stone (pit) them and arrange them close together over the almond cream.
- Bake the tart for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is puffy and golden.
- The fruit should be just soft but not bursting.
- Remove the tart from the oven and leave it in the tin to cool.
- Dissolve the jam and rum together in a bowl in the microwave and spread it over the fruit tart.
- Leave the tart to cool before removing it from the tin onto a plate.
- Serve the tart just warm. You can reheat the tart if you are making it tn advance, but it should be served fresh and warm.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
Calories: 371 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 49 mg
Sodium: 209 mg
Potassium: 167 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 24 g
Vitamin A: 1030 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 49 mg
Iron: 1 mg