Creamy Cod Appetizer
Add only enough milk to make the potatoes creamy; if too soft, they will not hold their shape after piping.
- 9 oz cod fillets skinned
- 1/2 pint milk
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz plain flour
- 4 oz frozen peeled prawns defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/4 lb potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 peeled prawns
- parsley sprigs
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat until simmering. Add the cod and cover the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Using a fish slice, transfer the cod to a plate, then flake the flesh with a fork, discarding any bones. Strain the stock into a jug and set aside.
- Make the potato topping: put the mashed potato in a bowl, then stir in the butter, milk and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then spoon into a large piping bag fitted with a medium-sized nozzle. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and stir over low heat for 1 - 2 minutes until straw-coloured. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in reserved stock. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring, until thick and smooth.
- Stir in cod, prawns and parsley. Simmer gently for 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Divide the fish mixture equally between 4 small shallow flameproof pots or dishes. Pipe a border of potato around the edge of each pot, then put under the grill for 3-4 minutes, until the potato border has browned a little.
- Garnish each pot with a prawn and a sprig of parsley. Serve at once.
Calories: 355 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Protein: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 112 mg
Sodium: 209 mg
Potassium: 1048 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 659 IU
Vitamin C: 31 mg
Calcium: 129 mg
Iron: 2 mg