Pigeons with Bulgar Wheat Stuffing
This recipe originates from Egypt, using pigeons, amongst other things; onions, chicken stock and bulgar wheat.
- 4 young pigeons weighing 9 oz each
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 2 1/2 oz butter
- 4 oz bulgar wheat
- 1/2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 24 floz chicken stock
- Wash and dry pigeons and giblets. Finely chop giblets.
- Clean, rinse and chop spring onions, combine with giblets and brown in 1 tbsp of the butter.
- Add bulgar wheat and chopped mint. Season stuffing with salt and pepper.
- Rub insides of pigeons with salt and fill each with 2 tbsp of wheat mixture. Sew cavity openings together.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) gas mark 7.
- Put pigeons in roasting pan. Melt remaining butter and trickle over pigeons.
- Pour 500 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups of the chicken stock into a pan and bring to the boil on the hotplate.
- Roast pigeons for 30 minutes in oven, basting frequently with liquid.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining stock to the boil, add rest of bulgar wheat mixture to it and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes to allow wheat to absorb liquid.
- Spoon onto a warm serving dish and arrange pigeons on top.
Calories: 495 kcal
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 121 mg
Sodium: 1007 mg
Potassium: 704 mg
Fiber: 12 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 707 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 6 mg