Wheat free Greengage and Almond Tart
This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
- 4 oz Dairy free margarine
- 2 oz caster superfine sugar
- 1 large free-range egg beaten
- 2 1/2 oz rice flour
- 2 1/2 oz maize flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- A pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon of millet flakes
for the almond cream
- 3 oz Dairy free margarine
- 3 oz caster superfine sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon of dark rum
- 3 oz ground almonds
- 3/4 oz rice flour
for the fruit filling
- 1 1/2 lb fresh and very ripe greengages stalks removed
- 4 tablespoons of apricot jam jelly warmed in a pan with 1 tablespoon of dark rum
- 32 cm (12 1/2 inch) loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin, greased and floured
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- first make the pastry.
- Beat the margarine and the sugar together in a food processor and add enough egg to make a wet paste.
- Sift the flours, spices and salt into the dough, add the millet flakes and process briefly in order to blend together.
- When the dough comes together into a ball, wrap it in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes in the deep freeze.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured board and carefully line the tin with it, pushing the pastry into shape with floured fingers.
- Trim the edges with a knife and discard the remnants.
- Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy, then mix in the eggs and rum.
- Fold in the almonds, sieve in the flour and mix gently.
- Cover the base of the tart with the mixture.
- Halve the greengages, stone (pit) them and arrange them close together over the almond cream.
- Bake the tart for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is puffy and golden.
- The fruit should be just soft but not bursting.
- Remove the tart from the oven and leave it in the tin to cool.
- Dissolve the jam and rum together in a bowl in the microwave and spread it over the fruit tart.
- Leave the tart to cool before removing it from the tin onto a plate.
- Serve the tart just warm. You can reheat the tart if you are making it tn advance, but it should be served fresh and warm.
Calories: 352 kcal
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 49 mg
Sodium: 151 mg
Potassium: 164 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 25 g
Vitamin A: 1081 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 43 mg
Iron: 1 mg