Melon and orange appetizers
These two appetizers are perfect for a sweet or savory feast.
- 1 small honeydew melon
- 3 oranges
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or teaspoon dried mint
- 2 - 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 6 mint sprigs or matchstick strips of blanched orange zest to garnish
- Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the flesh into balls with a melon bailer and put into a bowl, together with the melon juice.
- Squeeze the juice from half an orange and add to the melon balls. Peel the remaining half orange and the 2 whole oranges over a bowl to catch the juices. Use a fine serrated knife and a sawing action so that the rind is removed together with the pith. Segment the oranges and discard the pips and membranes from between the segments.
- Add the orange segments and juice to the melon with the mint. Sweeten to taste with caster sugar and mix lightly together.
- Divide the melon and orange mixture between 6 individual glass dishes and garnish each portion with a sprig of mint.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour before serving.
Calories: 44 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 1 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 1 mg
Potassium: 125 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 196 IU
Vitamin C: 35 mg
Calcium: 29 mg
Iron: 1 mg