Deep Fried Chicken
- 2 chickens each weighing 1 3/4 lbs
- 1/4 lb plain flour bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 pints sunflower oil or 2 1/4 lbs clarified butter/ghee)
- Mix flour and salt with eggs and water, to make batter, then cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Cut chickens into 8 pieces each before washing and drying them.
- Heat fat to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 in deep fryer or chip-pan with thermometer.
- Heat oven to 100°C (200°F) Gas Mark 1/4. Dip chicken pieces one by one in batter and fry a few at a time in fat until crisp and brown, about 8 minutes on each side.
- Drain chicken pieces on absorbent paper towel before keeping warm on plate in oven.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Calories: 474 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 35 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 205 mg
Sodium: 729 mg
Potassium: 406 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 1669 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Calcium: 29 mg
Iron: 3 mg