This simple recipe is based on a popular Malaysian dish with a fruity sauce. Oriental chefs sometimes slice their meat half-frozen, helping them to cut it very finely. Serve with brown rice or egg noodles.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts each weighing about 5 oz
- 2 tablespoons shoyu or soy sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 3 oranges juice from 2, segments from 1
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 4 oz frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh coriander for garnish optional
- Skin the chicken breasts. If using frozen chicken, wait until it is partially thawed before cutting it into thin strips.
- If using fresh chicken breasts, pound with a mallet or rolling pin to flatten them before cutting crossways into 1/2 in (15 mm) thick slices. Place the slices in a shallow dish, then add shoyu or soy sauce and stir well to mix. Cover and set aside.
- Trim the spring onions and slice them crossways into 1 1/2 in (40 mm) lengths. Cut away the rind, pith and skin of one orange and slice out the segments with a knife. Squeeze the juice from the oranges.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the chicken slices in batches and stir-fry over moderate to high heat for 3-4 minutes, until the meat turns white, then remove and set aside. Stir-fry the spring onions for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the orange juice to the pan along with the frozen peas and sugar. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the peas with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring the orange juice to the boil again, stirring constantly and boiling rapidly until reduced by half. Turn the heat down and return the chicken to the pan, with the onions, peas and orange segments.
- Heat through gently, then season to taste. Sprinkle with coriander if desired, and serve immediately.
Calories: 340 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Protein: 27 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 72 mg
Sodium: 577 mg
Potassium: 534 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 13 g
Vitamin A: 592 IU
Vitamin C: 65 mg
Calcium: 67 mg
Iron: 2 mg