- 1.5 lb raw rump steak or any lean stewing steak minced
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp dried mixed herb
- a little grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp plain flour All purpose for dredging
- 1/3 cup or dripping fat from roasted meat or 2 1/2 floz oil
- 12 floz Espagnole sauce
for the garnish
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 3/4 cup flour for coating
- Put the meat into a bowl. Add the herbs, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Separate one of the eggs, reserve the white, and add the yolk to the other egg.
- Beat the whole egg and yolk until liquid, add to the meat and mix well to bind the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions and shape into round cakes 7cm in diameter. Dredge lightly with flour.
- Heat 25 g of the fat or 25 ml oil in a frying pan and fry the 'steaks' for about 7 minutes on each side or until cooked through; then drain.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish and keep hot.
- Skin the onions for the garnish, and slice them thinly.
- Separate the onion rings and coat them with flour.
- Whisk the remaining egg white until stiff.
- Dip the onion rings into the egg white and then again into the flour.
- Heat the remaining fat in the frying pan and fry the onion rings until golden-brown and crisp.
- Remove with a perforated spoon and drain on soft kitchen paper.
- Serve the Vienna Steaks garnished with the onion rings.
- Serve the Espagnole Sauce separately.
Calories: 416 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Protein: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 93 mg
Sodium: 155 mg
Potassium: 380 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 10 g
Vitamin A: 65 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 3 mg