Kidney Bean and Tomato Flan
- 4 oz dried red kidney beans soaked overnight and drained
- 6 oz plain flour
- 1 1/2 oz butter cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 oz lard cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp single cream
- 6 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 oz butter
- 1 onion skinned and finely chopped
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Put the beans into a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil, boil for 10 minutes, then lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry: sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and rub in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs and add just enough water to make a firm dough.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20 cm (8 inch) deep flan dish. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Prick the base of the pastry case and bake blind with foil and beans in a 200°C (400°F) mark 6 oven for about 10 minutes or until just set. Remove the foil and beans.
- Beat the eggs, cream, milk and Parmesan together. ¢â‚¬Â¢ Season and pour into the flan case. Bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 25 minutes, until lightly set.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and slowly fry the onion. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, sugar and seasoning to taste. Simmer in the open pan for about 15 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
- Drain the beans and add to the hot tomato mixture. Reheat and spoon over the flan filling. Serve hot.
Calories: 541 kcal
Carbohydrates: 60 g
Protein: 18 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 150 mg
Sodium: 246 mg
Potassium: 855 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 2339 IU
Vitamin C: 23 mg
Calcium: 174 mg
Iron: 5 mg