- 1 boiling chicken weighing 3 1/2 lbs
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 pt water
- Soup vegetables carrots, leek, celery, etc.
- 4 oz streaky bacon
- 4 small onions
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 green peppers
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp paprika
- Pinch each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash chicken and giblets, putting liver to one side. Bring to the boil with salt and water, removing scum as it forms.
- Rinse and clean soup vegetables, add to chicken and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Finely chop bacon and onions. Skin and chop tomatoes. Halve peppers, removing seeds and white ribs, before drying and cutting into strips.
- Strain chicken stock and measure off 500 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups.
- Divide chicken into 12 portions and discard giblets.
- Heat oil and fry bacon, then brown chicken portions in bacon fat. Add onions and pepper and fry briefly. Stir in paprika and then chicken stock. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Chop liver and add to pan with tomatoes, simmer gently for 10 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Calories: 627 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 41 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 162 mg
Sodium: 1226 mg
Potassium: 837 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 1170 IU
Vitamin C: 73 mg
Calcium: 75 mg
Iron: 2 mg