Hungarian Pork Goulash
Goulash is a traditional, spicy Hungarian dish, and although there are several variations of it, a true goulash should always contain onions and sweet paprika. A truly authentic goulash recipe requires pork fat, but this healthier yet equally flavoursome version substitutes a small amount of virgin olive oil instead. The dill-pickled cucumbers make this recipe slightly tangy. Serve this dish with a simple salad or a mixture of vegetables. Hungarians often eat bread with their goulash to help mop up the delicious sauce.
- 1 3/4 lb lean leg of pork
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1/4 pint dry white wine
- 1/2 pint chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb small new potatoes 3 large dill-pickled cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Remove all the excess fat from the pork and cut the meat into 1 in (25 mm) cubes. Heat the olive oil in a flameproof casserole and cook the pork cubes, a few at a time, over a high heat, until lightly browned all over. Remove from the dish and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onions and peel and crush the garlic. Turn down to a moderate heat and add them to the casserole.
- Cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft and lightly browned, then stir in the garlic, paprika and flour. Cook for a further minute, and then add the wine, stock and tomato puree. Bring to the boil while stirring continually.
- Return the pork to the casserole dish and season lightly with salt. Scrub the new potatoes and add them to the dish.
- 4, Bring to the boil once more, remove from the heat and cover with a tightly fitting lid or foil. Place in the Oven and cook for 2 hours. Slice the dill-pickled cucumbers and add them to the dish during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Just before serving, season with pepper, spoon the sour cream on top of the meat, dust with paprika, if required, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Oven : Preheat to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4),
Calories: 739 kcal
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Protein: 39 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Cholesterol: 148 mg
Sodium: 213 mg
Potassium: 1271 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 1003 IU
Vitamin C: 30 mg
Calcium: 72 mg
Iron: 4 mg