Steamed Coconut and Coriander Salmon
- 4 salmon fillets each about 7 oz, skinned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the marinade:
- 2 tbsp reduced fat coconut milk
- 2 green chillies deseeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 1/2 floz hot water
- lemon wedges
- coriander leaves
- Line a steamer basket (that will hold the salmon in a single layer) with baking parchment. Make some tiny holes in the paper using a skewer, spacing them well apart. Rinse the salmon fillets and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Lay the salmon fillets in the lined steamer basket and spoon the marinade on top. Season with salt and pepper. Bring an 8cm/3in depth of water to the boil in the bottom of the steamer, then position the basket in the top. Cover and steam for 12 - 14 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through.
- Carefully lift the fish from the steamer basket and place on warmed plates. Serve garnished with lemon wedges and coriander leaves.
- Cook's notes Line the steamer basket with banana leaves rather than parchment, to impart a distinctive flavour. Look for them in quality greengrocers and ethnic food stores.
- If preferred, you can bake the fish in a covered dish in the oven rather than steam it. Preheat the oven to 180‚°C/Gas 4 and allow the same cooking time.
Calories: 265 kcal
Carbohydrates: 5 g
Protein: 34 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 94 mg
Sodium: 158 mg
Potassium: 881 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 88 IU
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Calcium: 31 mg
Iron: 2 mg