Steamed Apple Charlotte
- 8 oz fruit malt loaf thinly sliced
- 3 oz butter or margarine melted
- 1 1/2 lb cooking apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 oz full-fat cream cheese
- 2 oz soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water
- Dip one side of each slice of malt loaf in the melted butter. Use two-thirds to line the bottom and sides of a 1.4 litre (2 1/2 pint) souffle or other straight-sided ovenproof dish, butter side out.
- Layer the apples in the dish with cream cheese, sugar, nutmeg, lemon juice and water. Top with the remaining malt loaf, butter side up.
- Cover the dish with greased foil. Put into a steamer over boiling water, cover and steam for about 2 hours. Serve piping hot.