Butternut Squash and Chorizo Risotto
A super-easy risotto made with butternut squash and chorizo sausage.
- 1 large butternut squash halved, deseeded, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 shallots peeled and chopped
- 3 1/2 oz Spanish sliced Chorizo sausage cut into quarters
- 12 oz risotto rice
- 5 floz white wine
- 1 1/2 pints vegetable stock made from 1 stock cube
- 2 1/2 oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Toss the diced squash with 2 tbsp of the oil and garlic, and place in a roasting tin. Cook for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking, until tender and beginning to turn golden at the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan and add the shallots and Chorizo. Stir-fry over a medium heat, until the Chorizo releases some of its it and begins to turn the oil orange.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring, until all the grains are coated in the oil. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it has been completely absorbed by the rice. Gradually add the stock, a little at a time, ensuring that the rice has absorbed what you have added before you add more.
- Once the stock has been added, the grains of rice should be plump, just tender, but still with a little bite, and the risotto should have a creamy consistency. If the rice is still too firm, add a little more stock or a drop of water until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Once the risotto is cooked, stir through the squash, then add the Parmigiano Reggiano. Warm through until the cheese has melted, then serve.
Calories: 651 kcal
Carbohydrates: 98 g
Protein: 17 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 1372 mg
Potassium: 857 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 20574 IU
Vitamin C: 46 mg
Calcium: 323 mg
Iron: 6 mg