Farmhouse Chicken Casserole #2
When things get hectic, it's nice to know that you can count on some old-fashioned comfort food. This easy chicken casserole is perfect for any day of the year.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 oz carrots sliced
- 12 oz potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 celery sticks sliced
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 8 oz cooking apple peeled, cored and diced
- 1 oz pearl barley
- 5 floz medium dry cider
- 10 floz chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large flameproof casserole dish and spray with low fat cooking spray.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes until it is sealed on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, potatoes and celery to the pan and cook for 7 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard, cooking apple, pearl barley, cider and stock.
- Season to taste, add the thyme and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, and cover Simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally, until the pearl barley is tender and the apple has cooked to a pulp, thickening the sauce.
Calories: 329 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 30 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 331 mg
Potassium: 1176 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 13 g
Vitamin A: 9587 IU
Vitamin C: 27 mg
Calcium: 54 mg
Iron: 2 mg