Beef and Aubergine Curry
A hearty and warming beef and aubergine curry recipe, perfect for a chilly night in.
- 4 floz sunflower oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 in fresh root ginger sliced and cut in matchsticks
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 fresh red chillies seeded and very finely sliced
- 1 in fresh turmeric peeled and crushed, or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 lemon grass stem lower part sliced finely, top bruised
- 1 1/2 lb braising steak cut in even-size strips
- 14 floz can coconut milk
- 1/2 pint water
- 1 aubergine sliced and patted dry
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp soaked in 4 tbsp warm water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- finely sliced chilli and deep-fried onions to garnish
- boiled rice to serve
- Heat half the oil and fry the onions, ginger and garlic until they give off a rich aroma. Add the chillies, turmeric and the lower part of the lemon grass. Push to one side and then turn up the heat and add the steak, stirring until the meat changes colour.
- Add the coconut milk, water, lemon grass top and seasoning to taste. Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Towards the end of the cooking time heat the remaining oil in a
- frying pan. Fry the aubergine slices
- until brown on both sides.
- Add the browned aubergine slices to the beef curry and cook for a further 15 minutes. Stir gently from time to time. Strain the tamarind and stir the juice into the curry. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Put into a warm serving dish. Garnish with the sliced chilli and deep-fried onions and serve with boiled rice.
Calories: 615 kcal
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Protein: 26 g
Saturated Fat: 24 g
Cholesterol: 69 mg
Sodium: 76 mg
Potassium: 793 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 179 IU
Vitamin C: 28 mg
Calcium: 41 mg
Iron: 4 mg