Aubergine and tomato casserole
This vegetable dish is a delicious creamy blend of aubergines, tomatoes and yogurt, with a crisp topping of grated Parmesan cheese. It makes an ideal accompaniment to grilled or roast lamb, or shish kebab.
- 2 large aubergines sliced and degorge weighing aprox. 1 1/2 lb
- 1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed (optional)
- 14 oz can tomatoes sieved
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp spoon freshly chopped oregano or basil or 1/2 tsp spoon dried oregano or basil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 oz carton natural unsweetened yogurt
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- Heat a knob of butter and a spoon of oil in a large frying pan. When foaming, add enough aubergine slices to cover the bottom of the pan. Fry until browned on both sides, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Fry the remaining aubergine slices in this way, adding more oil and butter when necessary.
- Fry the onion and garlic (if using) until golden in the same pan. Stir in the sieved tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano or basil, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce the sauce slightly.
- Divide the aubergines into three equal portions and put one portion in the bottom of a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Divide the tomato sauce into two and put one half on top of the aubergine layer. Spoon half of the yogurt on top of the tomato sauce. Repeat these three layers once more, then finish with the remaining portion of aubergines.
- Sprinkle the top with the grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake in a moderate oven (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and bubbling.
Calories: 183 kcal
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 9 mg
Sodium: 320 mg
Potassium: 958 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 386 IU
Vitamin C: 17 mg
Calcium: 211 mg
Iron: 3 mg